Monday, May 15, 2017

Wanna Cry

There is a ransomware virus out there nicknamed "WannaCry". If you happen to click on an email that is infected, the virus will takes over your computer, and not give it back unless you pay a ransom (in the form of bitcoins). Over the weekend, hospitals in England, and government agencies around the world were infected.
And emails are getting very hard to determine which one is valid and which one is not. I figured out, if the email is from a bank, it's a virus. If it's someone asking you to do a survey for Ipsos Reid, it's a virus. If it's from Netflix, it's a virus (whether you have a Netflix account or not). If it's from Paypal, it's a virus.
Despite the fact that I rarely click on any email that I don't recognize (and have deleted some legitimate emails in the process), I decided to take some time this weekend, and updated Windows, ran a virus scan, and did a backup of all my files on my computer. I think I'm safe for now.

No comments: