Thursday, January 11, 2018

Resolutions

One of my New Year's Resolutions this year has been to try and eat healthier. And one of the ways I'm achieving that is by tracking all my food in My Fitness Pal (MFP). I created an account many years ago, and have used it off and on.
Last year, my Naturopathic Doctor suggested I keep my sugar consumption under 50g a day, and my carbohydrates under 100g a day (all in the attempt to limit the migraines). And MFP is the perfect tool to track all that kind of stuff. And I thought it would be easy to maintain those levels. Until I started tracking everything I ate. I knew that I eat more sugar than I should (I love honey in my tea!). But cutting out all the junk food did not get me under 50g a day. So, I'm not 100% there yet, but I am doing well -- I've been tracking around 80g of sugar a day which isn't far off.
Carbohydrates are a different story. I love carbs. And while I'm over the 100g a day limit every day, at least I'm choosing better options. Whole wheat bread and quinoa instead of white bread or rice. And if I try, I can usually stay under 200g a day.
What is keeping me motivated though is a blog I found on MFP. I don't know her name, but she writes an interesting blog post about once a week. Look for "The Movie Chair's" blog in the Community section of the MFP website. She's funny and "real" and very motivating as a result.

No comments: