Thursday, November 2, 2017

Tsundoku

I found a new word today. It came from a book I'm reading. And it is a Japanese word:
Tsundoku is the phrase for acquiring reading materials but letting them pile up in one's home without reading them.
I have to admit. I'm suffering from Tsundoku. Or I have Tsundoku. I'm not sure of the correct way to use this word yet. But it does offer a new way to explain the fact that this year I have purchased way more books than I can possibly read in a year.
In the past, every time I moved I gave away my collection of books. (And there have been many that I wish I had kept over the years!) But I haven't moved for a number of years now. And I haven't given away a lot of books lately. Also, I seem to be on a bit of a buying spree. I tell myself I'm stocking up for retirement. But that is quite a few years away, so it's really not a great excuse. Meanwhile, my collection (while not as bad as these photos) is growing.
 One day, I'll own a library big enough to hold all my books and then some...
Well, I can dream, can't I?

No comments: