Friday, January 8, 2010

movie review

We watched a few movies over the New Year's weekend. Here's a review of the 3 that we rented...

District 9
Not what I expected. Different storyline, and great effects. Aliens that looked real! Go figure! But the storyline...there was just something missing. Or maybe it was the way it was told...like a documentary sort of. It took something away from the drama of the movie. I got the impression that it was set in South Africa to make some sort of political statement about segregation. The ending wasn't really an ending either. It left it too "open". It screams now to have a sequel made. But, then what do you expect from Peter Jackson? He took the Lord of the Rings books and transformed them into 3 massively long movies. I'm sure he'll do the same with this one. Watch for it next year....District 10.

Angles & Demons
Call me crazy, but I'm in love with Tom Hanks. Have been since I saw Sleepless in Seattle :-) In my mind, him and little Richie Cunningham (Ron Howard) can do no wrong. So, they take a book by Dan Brown, and turn it into a movie. If you liked the book, you'll like the movie. (In fact, the movie was a little more believable than the book in my opinion). Anyways, if you don't like Dan Brown, or didn't like The DaVinci Code, then don't bother. This one wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining, and I liked it, even when I knew what was going to happen at the end.

Public Enemies
with Johnny Depp and Cristian Bale. Two of my favourite actors. And they did a great job. Too bad the storyline, directing and editing were so horrible! The story kept jumping around from scene to scene...with absolutely no character development. At the end, I wasn't sad or happy for any of the characters. I was just glad it was over! If you can't live without seeing every gangster movie ever made, then rent this one. Otherwise, don't bother!

No comments: