Wednesday, January 6, 2010

the world is coming to an end...one movie at a time

2012.
Specifically, December 21st, 2012. That's when the Mayan calendar says the world will end. Or, rather...that's when the Mayan calendar stops, and people have interpreted that to mean the world will end. I wonder if the Mayans were alive now, if they would be laughing at us..."Silly people...that's not when the world will end! That's just when the calendar ends. Like December 31st. Symbolic, perhaps. But, the next day, just hang a new calendar on the wall and continue on."

There's a movie preview on TV now called "2012". I kind of want to see it. I've always been fascinated with predictions of a post-apocalyptic earth, and how all would survive. In my teens, I remember TV movies predicting nuclear holocausts, including Mel Gibson's "Road Warrior". In fact, thinking back, there have been quite a few movies on the subject. More recently, there's been "The Day After Tomorrow", "I am Legend", "Knowing", and a remake of "War of the Worlds"...just to name a few. But, there's been "Meteor", "Armageddon", "Independence Day", and a multitude of others. I wonder how many films would fit into this category? I wonder how many I have seen? And just why is Hollywood obsessed with the end of life as we know it? I guess it makes for good movie making. After all, I'm probably not the only one watching.

Anyways...here's hoping that the Mayans just got tired of making calendars, and for no particular reason, just happened to stop on Dec 21st, 2012. Maybe they should have bought the Cricut cartridge Designer's Calendar! :-)

No comments: