Tuesday, September 29, 2009

summer's officially over

Well folks. Yesterday marked the official end of summer (at least in our household).
We turned the furnace on.
We had been holding out for as long as possible. It was still sunny out, and even though it was cold when we got up in the mornings, the sun would heat the place up to a nice 70 degrees by the afternoon. But, Monday it was cloudy. So, the house didn't get above 66 degrees. By 3:00, I had enough. I was too cold (and that's rare for me. I tend to prefer the cold over the heat.) So, we did a quick vaccuum of the registers, cleaned up the air intakes, replaced the filter, and fired up the furnace. Thank goodness it still runs! Our furnace is as old as the house, and not much younger than I am. So, every Fall, we pay homage to the furnace gods when it fires up without incident.

No comments: