Monday, November 9, 2009

Basement leakage

Ok...I'm trying not to freak out right now.
Last night, I was doing laundry, and I noticed a big spot in the hallway where the carpet was all wet. I don't remember spilling anything there. I called up to Hubby...no, he didn't spill anything either. So, why is the carpet wet? Then the possibilities start flooding into the brain. Yikes!
My first reaction was to look up. Nope...no leaks up there.
Then hubby tore off the baseboards, and pulled up part of the carpet. It doesn't seem to be coming in from the walls. The drywall is dry (thank goodness). But, it seems to be seeping up from the concrete foundation (oh, oh).
We aren't sure what's causing it. We've had a LOT of rain recently, and perhaps there is a plug in one of the downspouts. But, then, I was doing laundry. So, maybe there's a plug in the laundry drain.
Either way, I can see the next few days/weeks are going to be filled with phone calls, questions, anxiety, worry, and prayers that this won't cost us an arm and a leg.
Right now, I am thankful that it wasn't a LOT of water....just enough to soak the carpet in the hallway, with no damage to other things. And, I'm really liking my SpotBot. That little thing sucked up about 2 litres of water from the floor to help things dry a little faster.

No comments: