Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I really have no clue...

I saw Oprah last week. On the show, was an author "Michael Pollan" who was talking about his books...Food Rules, and In Defense of Food.

His "Food Rules" intrigued me. I've always been a fan of eating healthy, and with a renewed sense of having to lose weight, I'm looking for all kinds of ways to improve my diet without actually feeling like I'm on a diet. So his mantra....Eat real food, mostly plants, and not too much...well, it just seems so simple and true. A couple of his rules, are...

--Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. (so that means cheese strings, corn pops, and pop-tarts are out? Damn!)

--Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce. (3rd grader!! Heck, even I can't pronounce some of those words!)

--Eat only foods that will eventually rot. (crap...there goes my M&M's)

-- Eat all the junk food you want, as long as you cook it yourself. (Now you are talking!! Hello chocolate-chip cookie recipe, Rice Krispie squares, and banana bread!)

Anyways...on my renewed sense of "Let's eat Healthy", I decided to make bread. Do you know how much salt and chemicals are in a loaf of bread that you buy? I was shocked to find that a slice of bread from the supermarket can have as much salt as a small bag of potatoe chips!! I have a bread maker, yeast, flour....all the ingredients. I just need to get off my increasing butt size, and make it.

So, I did. As I was digging into the back of the fridge for the yeast, I wondered how long it had been since I made bread. Only a year or so, I'm sure. As I finally found the yeast, I slowly crawled out of the fridge and glanced at the expiry date on the top of the yeast container, as I closed the fridge door.
August 11th.
Wait a minute....August....ok, that's not too bad. mmmmm...what year was that?
2009.
Ok...that will work....wait! Hold on here!! That isn't 2009. That's.....what?
2007!!!
No!!!!! Let me get my glasses!
Holy Crap! It is 2007!!!
And I used this last year? Which was 2009. And I'm not dead?
Needless to say...the yeast went in the garbage, the container went into the recycling bin, and "yeast" went onto the grocery shopping list.
This eating healthy thing is going to be harder than I thought!

No comments: