Friday, August 6, 2010

BBQ Salmon

I haven't posted a "food" blog for some time, so I thought I would do so today....Here's my favourite recipe for BBQ salmon. It is soooooo easy!

In a shallow dish, combine 2 parts maple syrup to 1 part soya sauce (you can use regular pancake syrup if you want, but true maple syrup is better). Add fresh garlic (optional). Stir well. Marinate salmon steaks/fillets flesh side down in the dish. Marinate for at least 4 hours. Remove from dish and cook on medium high BBQ for approx. 8 to 15 minutes (depending on thickness of fish). It is best to preheat the BBQ, then turn off the gas on one side. Cook the fish on that side, so that the fish is not over the direct heat. And, close the lid on the BBQ.

For the fish, my personal favourite is sockeye salmon. Some people will say that Spring salmon is the better of the salmons, but I disagree. I've always liked Sockeye the best. And, it has to be wild...none of that farmed stuff here! (My Grandma would disown me if I ever bought farmed salmon!)

I also learned a long time ago, that salmon is best cooked with something salty and sweet at the same time. So, you could use honey and soya sauce, or any other combination you can think of.(but, the proportions would change with whatever you are using...it's not always 2 parts sweet to one part salty...you kind of have to make it up based on what you are using). I've tried various combinations over the years, but the maple syrup/soya sauce combo works the best. This is always a crowd favourite at our house.

No comments: