Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Never heard of it!

Have you ever heard of Durian fruit?
I stumpled across mention of this fruit while surfing this morning. I had never heard of it. So, of course, I'm always willing to try something new (in an effort to make my life more exciting). I googled it to find a few pics...

Yes. I think I've seen that at the local market before. Never knew what it was though. And then as I googled some more, I realized that there were more than a few postings about the smell of this fruit. So, I looked it up on wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
According to wikipedia, there is a distinct odour associated with the fruit...

"strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact".

hhhmmmm. Doesn't sound too appetizing.

"Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and offensive."

Well, maybe it's not so bad...But, then I read further...

"The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust".

huh. This isn't getting any better. Oh well....Don't believe everything you read on the internet, right? And make up your own mind. Maybe I'll pick some up this weekend and try...

"Anthony Bourdain, while a lover of durian, relates his encounter with the fruit as thus: "Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother."

Ah, ok...nevermind. After a comment like that, I'm not sure I even want to try it now!

No comments: