Thursday, November 19, 2009

Book review

I finished this book about a week ago, but am just getting to blogging about it now...
Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffeneger


How I came to read it: I read her book "The Time Traveller's Wife" and really enjoyed it. Hubby noted that, and bought this for me for my birthday.

The Story: The storyline was very unique and original. It deals with death and ghosts, and I normally don't like that kind of thing. But it was written in such a way that made it so believable and true. The author wrote about the characters in such detail that I feel like I know them. The twins, the guy with OCD...there were a number of characters which were so unique themselves, yet as a whole brought the book together. She wrote about ghosts as if she actully knew what it was like to be a ghost.
The book was so unlike The Time Traveler's Wife. A part of me loved TTTW so much, that I wanted this to be the same. But after a few chapters, I realized that the story was different, and therefore the books had to be different too. The way she presented the characters and the situations was the same though. Brilliantly written, almost like she was writing from experience...like she had been there, or seen that.Without giving away any of the story, the ending did make me feel a little "uneasy". Was it because I was so wrapped up in the characters? Or maybe it was because that's what the author wanted me to feel. I don't know. But, there were a few parts that made it difficult for me.

The writing: Easy to read. I loved the short chapters. It was always, just one more before I put it down...just one more...until hours later, and I'm still reading. The story takes place mostly in London, so I did notice that she used a lot of English spelling in her words. But that just made it more authentic to me.

Recommend?: Yes, I would definitely recommend it. But, only if you have an open mind about the afterlife. I get the feeling that very religious people might take offense to the seemingly lack of reference to "Heaven" in the storyline, or the lack of references to a Higher Power.

No comments: