Sunday, August 12, 2012

Goodbye Grandma

This morning, with myself and other members of the family by her side, my Grandmother succumbed to the lung cancer that she was fighting, took her last breath, and peacefully left this world. She was 87 years old. She was born on July 28, 1925 in Nova Scotia as a twin. She was a sister, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, and a great-grandmother. She was a very remarkable person, who had seen a lot in her life. She had an independent spirit, and rarely let anyone tell her she couldn't do anything. She believed a woman could do anything just as good as a man, and she wasn't scared of hard work, or getting her hands dirty. Her independence and strong-will was what kept her going 2 1/2 years after her diagnosis with lung cancer. She was given 3 to 6 months to live, but decided that she wasn't going to go that quickly, and hung on for as long as she could. She was an inspiration to me, and I will truly miss her so very much.

Goodbye Grandma. Say HI to Grandpa and Auntie Leona for me. Thank you for all the memories, and always being there for me. I'm so glad we got to know each other as friends before you left. Not many people are as lucky as I am to have a Grandma like you. I will miss you so much!

No comments: