Sunday, January 3, 2010

Romantic comedies

Christmas / New Years.
It’s the time of year when I break out all the corny, romantic comedies, and watch them over and over again. My favourites (just to name a few) include:
“The Holiday” with Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet.
“Love Actually” with a shitload of great talent…too many to list here.
“Casablanca” with Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman
“An Affair to Remember”, the 1957 version with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr
“About a Boy” with Hugh Grant
“You’ve Got Mail” with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan
“Notting Hill” with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts

And, my all time favourite romantic comedy…
“Sleepless in Seattle” with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan

There is a line in Sleepless, where Tom Hanks (Sam) and Rob Reiner (Jay) are in a diner in Seattle, and they are talking about dating. Sam (a widower) is thinking about rejoining the dating scene, and is asking advice from Jay…and the following are my favourite lines in the movie…

Jay: Tiramisu.
Sam: What is Tiramisu?
Jay: You’ll find out.
Sam: Well, what is it?
Jay: You’ll see.
Sam: Some woman is going to want me to do it to her, and I’m not going to know what it is.
Jay: You’ll love it.
Sam: Ah, this is going to be tough. Tough. Tough. This is going to much tougher than I thought it was going to be.

No comments: