Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Book Review

What happens when you go on vacation for a week? You end up finishing not one, but two books!
A few days ago, I gave you a review of Sutton. Well, here is the other book I completed while on holidays...
A Secret Kept, by Tatiana De Rosnay...

After reading two of Tatiana de Rosnay's books ("Sarah's Key" and "The House I Loved"), I had great expectations for "A Secret Kept". But, my feelings about the book are decidely mixed.
On one hand, I loved it. I love her writing style... it's so easy to follow, easy to get into, and so very descriptive. I managed to finish the book in just over 3 days, which in my world means that I totally got into it. She also wrote the story from a man's perspective, which seemed odd to me... a woman writing a story from the perscpective of a man. But, she got it right. It didn't seem contrived to me. Her character developement was excellent, and you truly got to know the players of the story.
But, on the other hand, I was dissappointed. Mostly in the story itself. It seemed to wander around. There was the main story line, but it seemed to get muddled with all the little different side stories that were happening in the book at the same time. As a result, the main story kind of lost it's "punch" and I didn't feel the anxiety of the characters for what they were going through. In the end, I was just felt indifferent about the whole story.
I would recomment her as an author... and I loved Sarah's Key. But I'm not sure I would recommend A Secret Kept. I give it 2 stars out of 5.

No comments: